PECOS is used to update or change the provider information within Medicare records. PECOS helps to submit Medicare Enrollment Application through an online system.
In order to start submitting application through PECOS, you need to follow the following steps;
- Gather the information, which is needed to submit the application.
- National Provider Identifier (NPI) –Note: If you do not have already an active NPI Number, you can register for one from National Plan and Provider Enumeration System (NPPES).
- Personal Information including, Legal Name, Date of Birth and Social Security Number on File.
- Educational Information including, Medical or Professional School and Graduation year.
- Medical Specialty Information including specialty type e.g. Dentist / Nurse Practitioner.
- Professional License, Certification or Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) Registration numbers. Make sure that you have the original effective dates and renewal dates, issuing state(s) for all your licenses and certifications.
- Corresponding Address.
- Information regarding any final legal actions including, Probation or suspension of license, past revocation or felony conviction.
- Once you make sure, you have all the information, mentioned in Step 1, now Login to PECOS at http://pecos.cms.hhs.gov with your user id and password which you use for your NPPES access.
- If you don’t remember your user id or password, select ‘Forgot Password’ or ‘Forgot User ID’ Link.
- If you don’t have an account, you can select an option of ‘Register for a user account’ under the heading of Become a Registered User.
- Log in into the PECOS.
- Click ‘Create New Application’, to start the process.
- PECOS asks series of questions, to identify the enrollment action, you are attempting to take and the correct enrollment application.
- Please note that Prescribing pharmacists do not need to enroll with Medicare to have their Part D prescription covered.
- While selecting specialty, select the specific specialty. If you are a dentist, please select ‘Undefined Physician Type (Specify), from the list and mention ‘Dentist’ in the box.
- If your specialty is not listed in the list and you are unsure about your specialty to be enrolled, contact you Medicare Contractor or MAC.
- Review your entered information, once you are done with entering of your personal information.
- Click Start Application.
- For future reference purposes, record the Enrollment ID, Pac ID and Web Tracking ID provided on top of the application.
- You can now navigate to complete the application.
- You can chose whether a Topic View, to go through with every single tab or you can also click on Fast Track View to view all topics on a single page.
- Required data is marked with the Red Asterisks.
- You cannot enter a Medicare ID, because you have not yet been issued any.
- You can always check Error/Warning Check Button on top of the application, to see which data elements you still not have completed.
- Once you are done with all required information, check you Application Progress Bar at the top of the page.
- In order to begin the submission, ‘My Application Progress’ should be atleast 90% complete.
- Select Begin Submission at the bottom of the page.
- On Manage Signatures page, you can opt Electronic or Paper. Submitting the Electronic Signature will make sure the faster processing of the application.
- The Final step is to select you MAC, responsible for processing your online application. Based on your location and nature of the application, PECOS displays the name of the MAC in a drop down box.
- Select your MAC and click ‘APPLY’.
- Once applied, the page will be updated with the MAC Address. Record the information as you’ll need it for your records to send hard copies of any documents (if required).
- Select Complete Submission to send the application to MAC for further processing.
Now sit back and relax. If any documents will be needed, it will populate a list of documents that are needed to further process your application.
You can always check your application status by logging into your PECOS account anytime. If you have any questions about your application, please contact your MAC/Fee for Service Contractor.
Hope this information will help you to enroll with Medicare in a faster way.